Do you worry about how your Amazon product listings compare to those of your competitors?
If not you probably should!
It’s probably no surprise to hear that having an effective product listing is important, but it’s arguably the most important thing.
Amazon’s A9 algorithm takes a lot of things into account, but the most important is sales.
This means that even if you pull everything else off right, if your product listing isn’t converting, you will struggle to climb the rankings!
Luckily, we’ve put together this no-nonsense guide that make optimising an Amazon product listing easier than ever. We’re going in depth on this one so don’t be afraid to grab a drink and get comfortable:
Why Optimize an Amazon Product Listing?
The simple answer is, if you don’t your competition will take orders from you.
Over 90% of Amazon listings aren’t effectively optimized, so putting in the time and effort here will drastically increase your chances.
No matter how busy you may be running a business, spending the time to optimize your product listing well will:
- Increase your traffic
- Increase your conversion rate
- Increase your sales
All of which works together to mean more profits and better rankings.
Customer service is also an importance piece of the puzzle as it can lead to better reviews, but the thing that makes product titles, descriptions and bullet points stand out is that they are 100% under your control as soon as you begin listing of products.
How to Optimize an Amazon Product Listing
The individual aspects that make for a complete Amazon product detail page are:
- Product Title
- Product Description
- Bullet Points
- Product Images
- Having a great product at a competitive price
- Having a well optimized listing
- Ranking that listing
When split up like that it doesn’t seem so hard, does it?
KeyworX’s powerful rank tracking and competitor tracking features makes number 3 pretty easy, so combine that with this guide and all you need is a solid product!
Let’s dive right in:
Amazon Product Title Optimization
The Amazon title character limit is 250 characters.
This does vary slightly in certain categories though so be sure to use however much space they allow you.
Any space left empty could have been filled with a keyword or feature, so make the most of what you have.
Keep these Amazon product title optimization tips in mind:
- Include your top priority keywords. Keywords have the most effect when put in the title so be sure to use your best ones at this stage
- Include all the benefits and selling points you can. Look at your listing from the point of view of a potential customer and fill the title with any details they might want to know. Size, brand, colour, pack size, materials, whether they’re vegan, biodegradable or anything else that could push a sale.
- Keep it readable. Even though you are technically writing for Amazon A9, you are even more immportantly writing for every potential customer that reads your title. Fitting all of your benefits into 250 characters can lead to sounding robotic so try to avoid this.
Amazon Product Description Optimization
When it comes to the Amazon product description guidelines, you have 2,000 characters to play with.
The main thing to note about this section is that anybody who is here has already read your title and bullet points and is still interested in learning more.
Give it to them!
Go into detail on why your product is better than others, how it will benefit their lives, and why they should buy it right now.
Try not to repeat too many points you have already mentioned in other sections, as the people here have likely already read those sections and not been converted by them.
The other tips to keep in mind are:
- Include any keywords you haven’t already used
- Use old school copywriting techniques to win the purchase
- Keep sentences brief to avoid boring the reader
- Try to get across a feeling of urgency – what could happen if they didn’t buy your product?
- Effective brand storytelling here could make all the difference.
- Bold the selling points like in the example below – making sure people who scan-read still get the main benefits
Amazon Product Features Optimization (Bullet Points)
Now we come to the Amazon product features list, better known as the bullet points.
Here we have 1,000 characters to play with.
This is the section where copywriting skills, benefits and features are the most important – somebody has just clicked into your listing looking for more details, so give them as many possible reasons to buy right now as you can!
A good strategy is to start each bullet point with a benefit in capitals, then go further into detail on that benefit in lower case.
This allows the reader to scan the points and read further into the ones that interest them the most:
Other tips to consider include:
- Write this from the point of view of the customer – preempt any concerns they may have and list anything and everything they might want to know (uncertainty leads to giving up)
- Mention the features, the benefits of those features, and the benefits of those benefits. This product is going to change your customer’s lives.
- Keep the biggest selling points near the top to catch the people who don’t read the whole thing
Using KeyworX to Rank Your Products (& The Competition)
Now that you’ve optimized your product listing to convert as well as possible, a ranking increase is going to lead to an increase in sales.
As long as you keep getting good reviews and do what you can to improve your listings over time, this will translate directly to sustainable, long term profit growth.
KeyworX allows you to track the rank of your products and those of your competitors automatically, getting constant updates on which strategies works and which ones don’t.
This allows you to view the data yourself and make your own decisions on how to improve your profits, meaning no more trusting the internet’s sketchy claims!
The video below explains in full detail exactly how to use KeyworX for this purpose, and even better, it comes with a 30 day free trial meaning you can try this out immediately:
If you remember the tips listed above and be careful not to over-keyword stuff, you will be sure to have a page that can convert users to customers effectively.
The one thing that’s more important than optimizing correctly for the algorithm is making sure your copy is well written and your listing is attractive for humans.
Combining this technique with ranking insights from KeyworX makes it virtually impossible not to increase your ranking and stay there, leading to more profits and more sales in the long term.
Feel free to share this post and let us know what you thought, otherwise keep it locked here for more guides to making the most out of selling on Amazon!